Oeufs en Cocotte
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup bacon or ham cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons Gruyère shredded
- 4 eggs
- 8 teaspoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Coat ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter. Add 1 tablespoon bacon and 1 tablespoon cheese to each. Break an egg into each ramekin, then top each with 2 teaspoons cream and 1 teaspoon cheese.
- In a wide saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 1/2 inches water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Holding each ramekin with tongs, carefully place each in the water. Water should be about 1/4 inch below the rims of ramekins. Cover the pan and cook for 6–7 minutes for runny yolks, 9–10 minutes for firm yolks.
- Using tongs, remove the ramekins from the pan. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.