Sweet Corn Hush Puppies with Lime-Cilantro Aioli
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Make ahead
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- Slice off corn kernels. Stir cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk, melted butter, hot sauce, corn, and scallions, and then stir until just combined.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy-duty pot. Heat over medium high heat until temperature reaches 375°F. Working in batches, gently roll dough into 1 1/2 inch sized balls and carefully lower into hot oil using a slotted spoon. Take care not to crowd pot. Fry until
- golden brown and cooked through, turning with wooden spoon for even browning, 2–3 minutes. Serve warm hush puppies plain or with aioli dipping sauce, below.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in refrigerator overnight. Serve with hush puppies.