Blue Corn Polenta with Roasted Strawberries
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stems removed and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, high quality
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup blue corn polenta or blue cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Crushed pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add strawberries to a baking dish. Add honey, balsamic vinegar, vanilla, thyme, and salt to baking dish with strawberries. Toss to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add milk to a large saucepan and set over high heat. Sprinkle in cornmeal while whisking (milk does not have to be boiling). Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until polenta thickens enough that it starts to spit. Lower heat to prevent spitting and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes with a silicone spatula and scraping the bottom to avoid scorching. Cook, stirring often, until polenta becomes thick and pulls away from the side of the saucepan, about 40 minutes. If lumps form, beat vigorously with a stiff whisk to remove. If the polenta becomes too firm or begins to set, add a small amount of milk and whisk until liquid is fully incorporated and no lumps remain.
- When polenta is done cooking, stir in honey and coconut oil using a whisk.
- Serve immediately with roasted strawberries and garnish with crushed pecans.