Flourless Chocolate and Olive Oil Cake
- 7 ounces good-quality dark chocolate at least 70% cacao, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder or finely ground dark roast coffee beans
- 1 tablespoon pistachios lightly crushed for garnish
- 1 ounce chocolate shaved for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease round 9-inch cake pan with olive oil. Line bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- Melt together chopped chocolate and olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until there are few pieces of chocolate visible and remove from heat. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes and spoon chocolate into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk sugar into the chocolate mixture. Then whisk in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated into the batter. Add vanilla and mix again. Combine salt, cocoa powder, and espresso powder in a small bowl and fold into the chocolate batter.
- Spoon cake batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 25–28 minutes or just until a knife inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs. Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Run a knife along the rim of the pan to loosen the cake and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with chocolate shavings and crushed pistachios.