This recipe is a great way to showcase colorful bell peppers, and mushrooms are a meaty vegetarian substitute for the skirt steak used in traditional Tex-Mex fajitas. Because there is no meat to be grilled, this recipe is easy to throw into the oven for a quick weeknight meal.
MUSHROOM AND PEPPER FAJITAS
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound king oyster portobello, or shiitake mushrooms, or mixture of all three
- 1 red onion sliced in thin strips
- 3 red orange, or yellow bell peppers, sliced in strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Small flour tortillas guacamole or avocado, salsa, lime wedges, and cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 F and move one rack to the top slot in the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients.
- Toss the mushrooms in the marinade until evenly coated. Let sit for 30 minutes. Toss peppers and onions with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Spread marinated mushrooms, onions, and peppers across an oiled baking sheet with a rim and bake for 20 minutes.
- Move pan to top rack and broil for 2 additional minutes to add some char to the veggies.
- Serve with warm tortillas, salsa, guacamole or avocado, and fresh cilantro.