Gazpacho originates from Iberia. Although most recipes call for tomatoes, we are making a tangy version with tomatillos that is reminiscent of salsa verde.
- 4 fresh green chiles
- 1 pound tomatillos husked
- 1/2 sweet onion skin removed
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 1 English cucumber peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup stale white bread cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Toss the tomatillos, onion, and jalapeño with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Place the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño, and green chiles directly on the grill. Grill 4–5 minutes per side, or until charred and soft. Remove from the grill and let cool. Peel the green chiles and remove the seeds. Combine all grilled veggies, then chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor with the chilled veggies. Blend until smooth, season to taste, and chill the soup until ready to serve. Serve with desired garnish.
- Pro tip: The flowers from bolted cilantro make a beautiful garnish, as pictured on the opposite page.