Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Shallot Dressing
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup celery hearts, chopped (preferably with leaves)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut delicata in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds and pulp. Cut lengthwise again, and then slice into 1/4-inch quarter moons. In a medium bowl, toss delicata with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Spread out in a single layer onto a baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until tender and darkened in spots, 16–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, honey, caraway, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave until boiling hot, 60–90 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir in shallots. Set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Toss cabbage, pomegranate, celery, hot roasted delicata squash, and warm shallot dressing in a large salad bowl. Divide among four plates and top with pecans and parsley.
Edible celebrates New Mexico's food culture, season by season. We believe that knowing where our food comes from is a powerful thing. With our high-quality, aesthetically pleasing and informative publication, we inspire readers to support and celebrate the growers, producers, chefs, beverage and food artisans, and other food professionals in our community.