Inspired by Sunny Khalsa’s journey, edible New Mexico created six vegetarian recipes for one traveler on a thirty-day, solo trek. All ingredients were selected with weight in mind and can be stored without refrigeration for at least four days.
Get the Cast-iron Chiliquiles recipe from this trip.
Red Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tab hamburger bun
- Mix tomato paste, mustard, maple syrup, vinegar, and Worcestershire together; put in small container.
On the Trail
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add chopped onion and jalapeño. Sauté until soft and onion just begins to turn golden, 3–4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the red lentils and 3/4 cup water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender but not falling apart. Add tomato paste, mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chile powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Simmer until the sauce thickens a bit, 3–5 minutes more. Serve on toasted bun with whatever toppings you have available.