Inspired by Sunny Khalsa’s journey, edible New Mexico created six vegetarian recipes for one traveler on a thirty-day, solo trek. All ingredients were selected with weight in mind and can be stored without refrigeration for at least four days.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 corn tortillas cut into wedges
- 1/4 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 jalapeño chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Optional toppings: Cilantro, arugula, avocado, diced onion, grated cheese, or fresh lime slices
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Once oil is hot, add tortilla triangles in a single layer and fry for a few minutes until golden brown, flipping once. Remove and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Lower heat to medium. Add onion and jalapeño to remaining oil and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, then add tomato sauce, salt, and a splash of water. Bring to a simmer, then add the fried tortillas. Stir to coat.
- To cook eggs, move tortillas to the outside edges of the skillet, creating a well in the center. Drop eggs into sauce and cook to your liking—you can scramble them, or cover the skillet and allow them to poach in the sauce. Serve with the toppings of your choice.