This recipe appeared in “Cooking Fresh” in the fall issue of edible New Mexico. See all “Celebrating Fall with the Galette” recipes and get the galette dough recipe and instructions here.
Mongolian Beef with Shishito Peppers and Daikon Radishes Galette
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorn ground (toasting optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 –3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pint shishito peppers stems removed
- 1 small daikon radish sliced on mandolin; reserve about 1/4 for garnish
- 1- inch ginger root cut into matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced or chopped
- 3 scallions trimmed of roots and chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Prep your veggies. In a small bowl, whisk together hoisin, water, Worcestershire, soy sauce, brown sugar, and toasted sesame oil.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the ground beef. Season with salt and Szechuan peppercorns.
- Once beef has browned, scatter cornstarch on top and stir. Cook another 2 minutes. Remove beef to a plate.
- Keep the cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat and add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add shishito peppers and blister, 2 minutes. Add ginger, daikon, garlic, and scallions; toss another minute. Add meat, sauce, and toss to combine. Remove from heat and let cool. Fold pastry and bake.
- Garnish the finished galette with remaining daikon and sesame seeds.
Edible celebrates New Mexico's food culture, season by season. We believe that knowing where our food comes from is a powerful thing. With our high-quality, aesthetically pleasing and informative publication, we inspire readers to support and celebrate the growers, producers, chefs, beverage and food artisans, and other food professionals in our community.