- 3cupsheavy cream
- 1cupsimple syrupequal parts cane sugar and water
- 1cupwhite rum
- 1tablespoonvanilla extract
- 1tablespoonground cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoonground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until well combined. Pour mixture into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
DIY Crème de Cacao
- 1 1/2cupsvodka or rum
- 6ouncescacao nibs
- 3vanilla beanssplit (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Simple syrup1 cup raw or brown sugar to 1 cup water
- Add the cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and liquor to a swing-top bottle. Give the bottle a shake. Rest for 2 weeks, shaking periodically.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have the patience to wait several weeks, you can use heat to speed the process. Gently heat the cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and liquor in the top of a double boiler for 30–60 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and place in a swing-top bottle.
- Strain out cacao nibs and vanilla beans. Pour liquid back into swing-top bottle and discard the nibs and beans. Add 1:1 simple syrup to your bottle. Taste and add more simple syrup for a sweeter liqueur. Rest for an additional 1–2 days before using. It will last on your shelf for a very long time.