- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 cup of quick grits (not instant)
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
In a large saucepan, combine water, milk, salt, paprika, and chile. Bring to a boil, making sure not to burn the milk. Turn down heat and whisk in the grits. Cover and cook for 5–8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans and cheese and remove from heat.
Hearty Components, Toppings, Fat, and Finish
- 4 eggs, cooked over easy
- 1 pound ground chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- Favorite hot sauce
Fill one half of bowl with grits and other half with chorizo. Place the over-easy egg on top. Add avocado and sprinkle with
cilantro. Garnish with a wedge of lime and amp up with hot sauce.
Edible celebrates New Mexico's food culture, season by season. We believe that knowing where our food comes from is a powerful thing. With our high-quality, aesthetically pleasing and informative publication, we inspire readers to support and celebrate the growers, producers, chefs, beverage and food artisans, and other food professionals in our community.