This edition of Edible Ingredient, sponsored by La Montañita Co-op, offers up a Mushroom Ragu recipe featuring local Full Circle Mushrooms along with aromatic onion and garlic, fresh herbs, and Parmesan for a satisfying umami bomb.
Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mixed Full Circle Mushrooms (black pearl king, oyster, shiitake), chopped*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine (or sweet vermouth)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onions and then lower heat to medium low and cook until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and raise heat to high. Sauté until mushrooms are tender and all the liquid has evaporated. Pour in Marsala and deglaze the pan; lower heat to medium low and allow the wine to evaporate, about 3 minutes. Add broth and simmer for 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half. Add half-and-half and mix well. Remove pan from heat and add fresh herbs and Parmesan. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve with polenta, rice, or pasta.
*La Montañita Co-op carries several varieties of Full Circle Mushrooms in their produce section.
Sponsored by La Montañita Co-op