Inspired by Sunny Khalsa’s journey, edible New Mexico created six vegetarian recipes for one traveler on a thirty-day, solo trek. All ingredients were selected with weight in mind and can be stored without refrigeration for at least four days.
Get the recipes for Cast-iron Chiliquiles and Red Lentil Sloppy Joes from this trip.
Dan Dan Noodles with Shishitos
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 shishito peppers
- 4 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoons sriracha or more depending on your spice tolerance
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Mix peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha; put in small container.
On the Trail
- Heat oil in cast-iron skillet on high heat. Add shishito peppers, sprinkle with salt, and cook until blistered. Set aside.
- Bring to a boil enough water to just cover the noodles. Once boiling, add noodles and cook according to package instructions. Once noodles are done, drain off all but about 1/2 tablespoon of the cooking water. Stir in the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha mixture. If needed, thin out the sauce with a little water. Salt to taste. Toss with shishito peppers and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
Edible celebrates New Mexico's food culture, season by season. We believe that knowing where our food comes from is a powerful thing. With our high-quality, aesthetically pleasing and informative publication, we inspire readers to support and celebrate the growers, producers, chefs, beverage and food artisans, and other food professionals in our community.