Inspired by Sunny Khalsa’s journey, edible New Mexico created six vegetarian recipes for one traveler on a thirty-day, solo trek. All ingredients were selected with weight in mind and can be stored without refrigeration for at least four days.
Get the recipes for Cast-iron Chiliquiles and Red Lentil Sloppy Joes from this trip.
Dan Dan Noodles with Shishitos
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 shishito peppers
- 4 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoons sriracha or more depending on your spice tolerance
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Mix peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha; put in small container.
On the Trail
- Heat oil in cast-iron skillet on high heat. Add shishito peppers, sprinkle with salt, and cook until blistered. Set aside.
- Bring to a boil enough water to just cover the noodles. Once boiling, add noodles and cook according to package instructions. Once noodles are done, drain off all but about 1/2 tablespoon of the cooking water. Stir in the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha mixture. If needed, thin out the sauce with a little water. Salt to taste. Toss with shishito peppers and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.