After visiting the farmers market, a solo cook can prepare salad lunches for the whole work week in about 45 minutes. All that’s needed—in addition to the fresh bounty—are five quart-size jars and enough space in the refrigerator. Start with 2–3 tablespoons of dressing on the bottom of the jar and layer various ingredients like chopped greens, sliced or grated veggies, grains, seeds, and cheese on top. When ready to eat, shake the jar gently to coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
Green Goddess Dressing
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 2–4 canned anchovies
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes 2 cups
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend at medium/high speed until even and smooth, about 30–45 seconds. The dressing will last a week in the refrigerator and can also be used as a dip.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Makes 1 cup
Place all ingredients in a pint jar and shake vigorously until dressing emulsifies. The dressing will last a week in the refrigerator. Let refrigerated dressing come to room temperature and shake before serving.