by Valerie Ashe photo by Stephanie Cameron
Poire William is an eau de vie (water of life), or double-distilled fruit brandy, made from the Williams pear, known as the Bartlett pear in the United States. It is generally served chilled as an after-dinner drink. Some producers of Poire William include an entire pear inside each bottle by attaching the bottle to a budding pear tree so the pear will grow inside. If Poire William is unavailable, try any pear or fruit brandy for this recipe.
Poire William Champagne Cocktail
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Simple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Poire William (French pear brandy)
- Gruet Blanc de Noirs sparkling wine, chilled
- 1 slice pear (for garnish)
Add simple syrup and Poire William to a champagne flute and stir gently. Top with sparkling wine and garnish with pear slice.
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
Add ingredients to a saucepan and let simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
Latest posts by Edible Santa Fe (see all)
- Best Cafe, Albuquerque: The Shop Breakfast + Lunch - November 19, 2017
- Thanksgiving Toddy - November 19, 2017
- Forged in Fire - November 16, 2017