- 1 ounce Cynar
- 1/2 ounce Campari
- 1/2 ounce fresh blood-orange juice
- 3 ounces chilled sparkling white wine preferably Gruet
- Blood-orange sorbet recipe to follow
- 1 blood-orange twist
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the
- Cynar Campari, and juice; shake well. Strain into a chilled flute, top with the champagne, and garnish with the twist and a small scoop of blood-orange sorbet.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons zest from blood orange
- 4 pounds blood orange
- Combine water, sugar, and orange zest in heavy medium-sized saucepan. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves and syrup boils; remove syrup from heat.
- Cut all peel and pith from oranges. Working over a bowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release orange segments. Discard any seeds. Transfer orange mixture to processor; purée until smooth, about 30 seconds. Measure 2 1/3 cups orange purée and mix into orange syrup (reserve any remaining purée for another use). Cover orange mixture; refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 1 day to blend flavors.
- Process orange mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container; cover and freeze. Makes about 3 cups. (Can be made 2 days ahead.)