Eat these alone as snacks, on top of salad greens, with eggs, or topped with grilled squash. I use bolita beans in this recipe because they are creamy in texture and a little sweeter than pinto beans.
Crispy Bean Cakes
Servings: 8 bean cakes
- 2 cups cooked beans; all liquid should be drained off
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 duck egg or 1 extra-large chicken egg
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot,
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed juniper berries, dried
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sumac
- 1/4 cup corn flour, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- 3 –4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- In a food processor, pulse together all ingredients to make a rough dough. Using your hands (moistened with water), form dough into 3-inch patties that are 1/2-inch thick. Dust with corn flour and set aside.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat on medium. Cook bean patties in batches until golden brown, approximately
- 5–7 minutes per side.