Edible Ingredient is sponsored by La Montañita Co-op.
Butternut Squash and Blue Corn Tart
- 1 1/2 cups cooked butternut squash*
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup blue cornmeal**
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal fine grain
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon anise seed lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter diced
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1/3 cup ice water or more as needed
- To make the crust, whisk dry ingredients together. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and stir with a fork. Add ice water and stir until the mixture holds together when squeezed. Form into a ball, flatten into a disk, and chill for at least 2 hours or up to a day ahead of time. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and blend on medium speed for about 3–4 minutes until batter is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Press and shape dough into a 9-inch tart pan. Parbake by placing tart shell on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove crust from the oven.
- Pour the filling into tart crust. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool tart on a wire rack for 15–30 minutes. Serve with toppings of choice.
**Sourcing note: La Montañita Co-op carries Tamaya Blue Corn and Tamaya Yellow Corn in their bulk section.