Bowl of Sunshine
- 1 large butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried calendula petals
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Toppings and Finish
- Crispy chickpeas (recipe below)
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of microgreens of choice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub each of the butternut squash halves with olive oil and place on a large baking sheet, flesh side up. Roast 50 to 60 minutes, until flesh is fork-tender. Let cool, then scrape out the flesh into a blender. Blend on high speed with 1 cup of the vegetable stock.
While the squash is roasting, sauté the onion in the butter until translucent (6–8 minutes) in a dutch oven or large stock pot. Add the thyme, turmeric, pepper, and salt; cook for 1 minute longer. Add the calendula petals last, with another cup of stock. Let everything simmer for 5 minutes.
Blend onion mixture with the squash mixture and then return everything back to the pot. Add in garlic and lemon juice and heat back up.
Place soup in bowl and garnish with crispy chickpeas, purple cabbage, and handful of microgreens.
Makes 2 cups
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the chickpeas on top and spread flat. Add the oil and spices and use your hands to mix and coat the chickpeas evenly. Make sure the chickpeas are in a single layer before putting into the oven.
Bake for 50 minutes. Halfway through baking time, carefully shake the pan or use a wooden spoon to stir the chickpeas, and then continue cooking until crisp. Cool and store in an airtight container.